The families and members of the National Alliance on Mental Illness of Montgomery County, MD (NAMI MC) are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illness can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and are not evidence of weakness of character.
NAMI MC envisions a community where all persons affected by mental illness experience resiliency, recovery, acceptance, and wellness.
NAMI MC provides comprehensive support, education, advocacy, and public awareness to promote recovery and so that all individuals and families affected by mental illness can build better lives.
Public Awareness – NAMI MC will broaden community awareness and inclusion at every level to increase our visibility and impact as the recognized leader of mental health resources.
- Increase our visibility and impact
- Maximize the value of our lived experience
- Maximize our outreach to and engagement with diverse communities
- NAMI MC will lead advocacy efforts that drive increased access and quality of care
Support and Education – NAMI MC will provide a wide range of resources and programs for individuals, families, and caregivers affected by mental illness.
- Positively impact lives
- Meet mental health community needs
Governance – NAMI MC will strengthen the organization’s governance by maintaining an effective, diverse, and engaged board of directors and will meet requirements for affiliation.
- Commit to board and sub-committee development
- Establish and maintain compliance with NAMI’s Standards of Excellence
- Annual governance review
Strengthen the Organization – NAMI MC will grow and develop financing, infrastructure, and capacity that support a dynamic and compassionate grassroots organization.
- Expand and diversify human resources
- Strengthen and enhance financial resources
- Cultivate and expand strategic partnerships