Family Support Groups
NAMI Family Support Group is a peer-led support group for any adult with a loved one who has experienced symptoms of a mental health condition. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar experiences.
NAMI’s support groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and to get what they need.
- Free of cost to participants
- Designed for adult loved ones of people with mental health conditions
- Led by family members of people with mental health conditions
- 60-90 minutes long and meets weekly, every other week or monthly (varies by location)
- No specific medical therapy or treatment is endorsed
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe setting, you can gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit from other’s experiences, discover your inner strength and empower yourself by sharing your own experiences in a non-judgmental space.
NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Understand that mental health conditions are no one’s fault and can be traumatic experiences
What People Are Saying
“The most beneficial thing for me was that I am not alone. I found the NAMI Family Support Group at the time I really needed it!”
“The support group facilitators and attendees were respectful of other people’s experiences and were non-judgmental when there were different ways of handling things.”
“I felt I received constructive, practical and helpful information from group members.”
“Using the [NAMI] support group model is so essential to the success of our family support groups. As a group, the collective wisdom covered a lot of possibilities.”