Black Mental Health Resources
There are a variety of mental health resources available for people of color, so we have provided a few of them below.
Please note: The resources included here are not endorsed by NAMI, and NAMI is not responsible for the content of or service provided by any of these resources.
Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective (BEAM)
Group aimed at removing the barriers that Black people experience getting access to or staying connected with emotional health care and healing. They do this through education, training, advocacy, and the creative arts.
Black Men Heal
Limited and selective free mental health service opportunities for Black men.
Black Mental Health Alliance – (410) 338-2642
Provides information and resources and a “Find a Therapist” locator to connect with a culturally competent mental health professional.
Black Mental Wellness
Provides access to evidence-based information and resources about mental health and behavioral health topics from a Black perspective, as well as training opportunities for students and professionals.
Black Women’s Health Imperative
Organization advancing health equity and social justice for Black women through policy, advocacy, education, research, and leadership development.
Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation
BLHF has launched the COVID-19 Free Virtual Therapy Support Campaign to raise money for mental health services provided by licensed clinicians in our network. Individuals with life-changing stressors and anxiety related to the coronavirus will have the cost for up to five (5) individual sessions defrayed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all funds are committed or exhausted.
Brother You’re on My Mind
An initiative launched by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and NIMHD to raise awareness of the mental health challenges associated with depression and stress that affect Black men and families. The website offers an online toolkit that provides Omega Psi Phi Fraternity chapters with the materials needed to educate fellow fraternity brothers and community members on depression and stress in Black men.
Ebony’s Mental Health Resources by State
List of Black-owned and focused mental health resources by state as compiled by Ebony magazine.
Provides culturally sensitive self-care support and teletherapy for Black men and their families. Currently in the pilot program available only to residents of MD, VA, and DC. Residents of other states can join their waiting list and will be notified when Henry Health is available in their state.
Melanin and Mental Health
Connects individuals with culturally competent clinicians committed to serving the mental health needs of Black & Latinx/Hispanic communities. Promotes the growth and healing of diverse communities through its website, online directory, and events.
Provides information on promoting mental health and developing positive coping mechanisms through a podcast, online magazine, and online discussion groups.
POC Online Classroom
Contains readings on the importance of self-care, mental health care, and healing for people of color and within activist movements.
Organization that provides mental wellness education, resource connection, and community support for Black women.
Therapy for Black Girls
Online space dedicated to encouraging the mental wellness of Black women and girls. Offers listings of mental health professionals across the country who provide high quality, culturally competent services to Black women and girls, an informational podcast, and an online support community.
The SIWE Project
Non-profit dedicated to promoting mental health awareness throughout the global Black community.
The Steve Fund
Organization focused on supporting the mental health and emotional well-being of young people of color.
Online community for Black women to seek support.
Self-Care For People Of Color
We recognize that many mental health conditions are being triggered as a result of the coronavirus, the economic crisis and repeated racist incidents and death.
- Article on coping with anticipatory grief
- Article on coping with traumatic stress
- Article on Racial Battle Fatigue
- Association of Black Psychologists Directory
- Inclusive Therapists
- LGBTQ Psychotherapists of Color Directory
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network
- Psychology Today Directory of African American Therapists
- Therapy for Black Men
Educational Resources On Racism And Inequality
Understanding The Context Of Racism And Recent Events
- Video on understanding racism and the reactions to the death of George Floyd and many others
- Video on understanding the perspectives of your colleagues of color
- Article on “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack”
- List of Anti-Racism resources
Understanding The Context Of Racial Inequality That Impacts Mental Health
- APA Best Practices on working with Black patients
- APA Mental Health Facts for Black Americans (2017)
Understanding And Addressing The Social Determinants Of Health That Impact Mental Health
- Article on improving the health of Black Americans and the overdue opportunity for social justice
- Video on understanding the social determinants of health and toxic stress
- Video on the social determinants of toxic stress, specifically race and ethnic toxic stress
- APA Stress & Trauma Toolkit for treating Black Americans in a changing political and social environment
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Page on Achieving Health Equity – Information about why health equity matters and what you can do to help give everyone a fair shot at being as healthy as they can be.