Our dedicated volunteers are the heart of NAMI Montgmery County. Volunteers help to better the lives of people affected by mental illness by sharing their personal experiences, talents, and skills. Whether you are giving your time because our programs have helped you or a loved one or because you are passionate about mental health, you can make a difference.
Become a Volunteer
All prospective volunteers should complete a Volunteer Application below. After submitting an application, you will be contacted to discuss your interests and next steps.
- Program Volunteers
- Program Teachers – educate people living with mental illness and/or their family members on various aspects of mental health. Classes length vary from 6 weeks – 12 weeks depending on the class. (Program Teachers have a prerequisite of completing the class before they are eligible to be trained to teach)
- Support Group Facilitators – facilitating recovery support groups for people living with mental illness and/or their family members
- Presenters– share your lived experience with mental illness to various groups and organizations
- Advocacy Volunteer
- The primary goal of the Advocate is to play a role in supporting local, state, and national advocacy efforts. Advocates may also be asked to testify before a hearing. Volunteers have the opportunity to meet face-to-face with legislators at the annual Advocacy Day.
- Office Volunteer
- Office Volunteers are scheduled on an as-needed basis to provide general administrative support to staff and complete special projects.
- Helps with photocopying, labeling, mailings, and office organization on an occasional basis. Sign up then watch your email for opportunities that fit your schedule
- Outreach volunteer
- Staff the NAMI MC table at community events to educate the public about our programs. Helps with set-up, staffing the table and break-down. Must be able to lift at least 15 lbs. to help with set-up. Dates and times vary
If you have questions about volunteering, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling our office at 301-949-5852.